What should I do if I am considering evicting a tenant?

If you are considering evicting a tenant the first step will be to serve a Notice. It is very important that you ensure you have complied with various technical requirements before serving notice.

Those requirements differ depending on whether or not your tenant is within the fixed term of their tenancy, when the tenancy commenced and whether you are alleging any fault against the tenant, for example, rent arrears or anti-social behaviour. If you do not do so then this can be fatal to any subsequent Court proceedings.

Our expert team can review your case and any documents before serving notice. We’ll advise on the best and most cost-effective manner to proceed, with consideration for your personal or business’ goals and circumstances.

We will prepare the appropriate notice to serve on your tenant. If they do not vacate your property when required, we will issue Court proceedings against them. We can assist at all steps throughout the Court process, including representation at Court Hearings. Once a Possession Order is obtained from the Court we can then assist in applying to the Court for a bailiff’s warrant should this become necessary.

Our team also provide specialist advice and representation if you have been accused of illegally evicting your tenant or if your tenant alleges that the property is in a state of disrepair.

Our years of experience allow us to provide high-quality advice tailored to your needs or goals, as well as considering alternative ‘outside of the box’ solutions to resolve disputes in a time and cost-effective manner. We offer competitive fixed fees so please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss your housing law issues.

Landlord Legal Services

Aside from dealing with disputes, we also offer a wide range of landlord legal services, these include:

  • Advice on leases and licences
  • Lease renewal and surrender
  • Service of notices
  • Dilapidations and disrepair claims
  • Trespass and nuisance
  • Recovery of rent and service charge arrears

Why Keoghs?

Our team of landlord dispute solicitors across Manchester have many years of experience in dealing with all kinds of landlord and tenant disputes. We have offices in Altrincham, Stockport and Macclesfield and have been providing legal services for almost 300 years in the Manchester area.

For free and impartial advice regarding landlord legal issues, please contact one of our specialist housing and property solicitors by calling us on 0161 504 7291 or by filling out our contact form.