Disputed Wills: Your rights as an unmarried cohabitee?

Written by: Keoghs Solicitors

Date: 9th February 2015

Our Disputed Wills team have accepted instructions from a client whose long term partner recently passed away without leaving provision for her in his will.

Recent legislative changes mean the law has begun to reflect the realities of modern day life and allows unmarried cohabitees to bring claims for reasonable financial provision against their deceased partner’s estate.

Our client was financially dependent on her partner and, in addition to dealing with the emotional effects of his sad passing, she has been left without any meaningful form of income despite the estate being substantial.

Our expert team are now pursuing a claim against the estate under the provisions of the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.

Claims for reasonable provision from an estate must be brought within six months of the grant of probate. Claimants must therefore act quickly – please telephone our specialist team on 0161 928 9321 for advice.

Coronavirus Update

The firm is still open but all staff are now working from home, wherever this is possible. However, and in view of the Government’s lockdown, we ask that you do not visit the office but simply make contact by telephone or email.


We will continue to monitor the situation as it develops and will try to keep you updated on any further developments. In the meantime, we thank you for your co-operation and hope that you, your family and friends remain safe and well at this very difficult time.


Click anywhere to continue...