Experts in health, welfare, property and financial planning for all ages.

Implementing a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) can be a daunting prospect, whatever your age. However, it can provide reassurance and confidence in the future should you become physically or mentally incapable of managing your affairs. By creating a Lasting Power of Attorney, you have the ability to choose the person/persons whom you would like to act on your behalf and, in your best interests.

Karen Leech

Our team of LPA Solicitors, based at our offices in Altrincham, Stockport, Preston, Chester, Macclesfield and Crewe will provide advice, support and information as well as guide you through the process of making an LPA and registering it with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG).

Once registered with the OPG, those whom you have chosen to act on your behalf can do so immediately.

There are two types of Lasting Power of Attorneys; one relates to Health and Welfare and one to Property and Financial affairs.

Lasting Powers of Attorney – Health and Welfare

An Health and Welfare LPA typically relates to decisions relating to your healthcare and welfare, i.e. supporting daily routines including eating, dressing etc. It can also relate to organising a move to a care home.

Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, you can authorise your attorney to make decisions about life sustaining treatment which is now a very topical and prominent subject.

Lasting Powers of Attorney – Property and Financial

A Property and Financial LPA typically relates to financial matters and can cover all aspects of managing your finances, including; paying bills, managing your existing bank account or savings, investments, selling your home etc.

A Property and Financial LPA can be used when the person concerned still has capacity, whereas the Health and Welfare LPA can only be implemented once a person is incapable of managing their own affairs.

EPA – Enduring Power of Attorney

Prior to LPAs being introduced in 2007, many people had existing Enduring Power of Attorneys (EPAs). If the Donor of an EPA subsequently lost their capacity to act for themselves, the EPA had to be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian.

As LPA Specialists, Keogh, Nicholls, Lindsell and Harris can deal with the registration, application to the OPG and serving of notice on the Donor’s family members.

Application to become a Deputy with Court of Protection

If unfortunately a friend or relative is losing, or has lost, their mental capacity and does not have a Lasting Power of Attorney in place, then a Deputy can be appointed. However, an application would need to be made to the Court of Protection to manage his/her affairs. We can deal with the Court application for you, including arranging any financial or medical reports to support your application.