Is your homes disrepair affecting your health and welfare?

Are there problems and issues that you have raised with your landlord which are waiting for a resolution? If the conditions in your housing association or privately rented home are bad, they could adversely affect your health and other members of the households’ health. They could also cause distress and a nuisance to your neighbours.  In situations like these you may be entitled to Legal Aid.

What constitutes ‘harmful to health’?  This phrase includes properties affected by any of the following:

  • dampness, condensation, and mould growth
  • Infestations i.e. rats, cockroaches etc.
  • asbestos
  • faulty sanitation i.e. blocked drains or problems with sewage
  • faulty or dangerous utilities i.e. gas and electricity
  • broken glass, falling plaster, or dangerous or decaying stairs
  • unacceptable noise levels
  • smoke or gas fumes


What to do first….

You should report any disrepair issues to your landlord or Housing Association and allow them a reasonable amount of time to respond and to carry out the required work.  If necessary, you should advise that you will contact the local Environmental Health Department if the repairs are not completed within a specific timeframe.  .

After you have made your complaint the local council will inspect your home.  If they agree and your claim is upheld they will serve an imporvement notice.  This orders the landlord/housing association to carry out the required works within a specified period of time.

If the environmental health department cannot help you, you may be able to take court action.

Keoghs Nicholls Lindsell and Harris Solicitors have experienced Legal Aid Specialists who can assist and support you to get housing matters rectified quickly.  We provide specialist advice across the North West and Midlands.



Leave a Reply