Compensation From Housing Disrepair

283 Years Experience | Expert Housing Solictors

Housing disrepair can be a serious problem for tenants who rent their home. It can be the cause of untold stress, inconvenience as well as illness and injury.  It will also affect the enjoyment of your home by you and your family. What’s more in serious cases you may be able to claim for compensation and may even qualify for legal aid.

It’s a common misconception that legal aid just doesn’t exist anymore, however for many civil (non-criminal) cases, such as housing disrepair, depending on the nature of the case as well as your financial  circumstances, legal aid may be available – and even if it turns out you don’t qualify for legal aid – we may be able to take on your case under a Conditional Fee Agreement (Essentially a “No Win, No Fee” agreement).

So what exactly is Housing Disrepair, and how do I know if I should make a claim for compensation?

Meet our housing disrepair experts...

Contact our expert housing disrepair team to discuss your case today. We are an independent law firm meaning we only act in YOUR best interests.

Meet the team

In any home problems can occur – things might stop working, simply break or problems that have health implications such as damp or mould for instance, sometimes develop.  The first thing to do is to contact you landlord and inform them of the issue.

Be sure to keep a record of when you contacted your landlord and who you spoke to. Ask when the problem is likely to be dealt with and agree an appropriate time frame for repairs and necessary work to be carried out. If your landlord then fails to act and fix the problem within the agreed timeframe then it’s time to contact our specialist housing disrepair team here at Keoghs Nicholls Lindsell and Harris Solicitors.

Your landlord is responsible for such things as the upkeep of the structure and exterior of the building; walls, stairs, roofs, guttering and external doors and windows. They also have a legal responsibility to maintain such things as sinks, baths, pipes, heating and hot water, chimneys, ventilation and electrical wiring to a serviceable and safe standard.

Our specialist housing solicitors have many years’ experience and will be able to advise you on your right to compensation, eligibility for legal aid, and on Conditional Fee (“No Win No Fee”) Agreements. Valuing a disrepair claim can be difficult so you need expert advice. As well as our solicitors we can also call on panels of experts such as surveyors and doctors to help assemble all the evidence needed to ensure a successful claim.

Many tenants suffer in silence, not realising that legal support is available and believing they just have to put up with sub-standard living conditions, because the cost of proceedings would make it pointless to make a claim in the first place. This is not the case. We will strive to get your issues resolved and make sure you get any compensation due.

We are recognised throughout the North West, North Wales, North Staffordshire and Cheshire regions as experts in helping with housing issues.

This has led to us being awarded the Legal Aid Agency Quality Mark, therefore you can rest assured that we have extensive experience with representing people under the Legal Help Scheme and/or Public Funding.

Get in touch!

Call us

0161 928 9321

Or request call back

Complete the form below and we will call you back to discuss your claim

Why Choose us?

  • No Win Low Fee
  • Free Initial Consultation
  • Outside The Box Results
  • Private & Confidential